Monday, February 14, 2011

My Name is Demitri

...And I am a games person. I have been slowly getting tired of games and the people who play them over the past while, to the point that I really can't entertain myself with things I used to play. Multiplayer games I have enjoyed have lowered in popularity or have completely changed in scope to the point that I really do not enjoy them anymore. Singleplayer games have just plain changed over the years, and with most game developers focusing on a multiplayer "hook", I really just don't enjoy most single player experiences anymore.

The answer? Force myself to expand my horizons. I have been working at GameStop for a few years now, as a normal clerk-turned-third-key-for-a-while, and while I don't hate my job, I know I can do better. I have started an impromptu amateur writing gig at a website called Player Affinity, which is a pretty good website, despite all of its current technical issues (which are typical considering they just moved to a new site structure). I am also taking steps toward a future career, getting some basic classes out of the way at my local community college with hopes to work towards a career either in game design or game journalism. Neither are intuitive to really playing games, I know, but when it comes down to it, I like talking game mechanics, culture, and industry almost more than talking about the games themselves.

I suppose my goals with this blog are threefold. I can have someone take notice of my writing, or even my ideas, and I could be hired somewhere to think about a good way to balance a rocket launcher so it's not an overpowered piece of shit, or to talk about why a game's rocket launcher is an overpowered piece of shit. I could be noticed by some people who go "Hey, that dude is all about what I like, and he speaks it in a manner that is not altogether bullshit.", and become popular on the internet. This wouldn't really do anything but make me feel better about myself, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. The other thing is that this could be a huge waste of time, but I would at least have something I could point at towards an employer and go "Hey, I made this! Deal with that.", and they could do nothing in response other than deal with it.

However this goes, I intend to try to keep it upkept as much as possible, where I will try to post weekly about something, anything that may have happened or may be interesting that week. If nothing else, it's an opinion column, and I'll be cross-posting most of my Player Affinity reviews here, sans numerical score values.

If you think I'm not an idiot, feel free to watch me, and see how everything goes. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment